A weekend in Vinnytsia by car: what to see first
If you like to travel around Ukraine, but have not been to Vinnytsia yet, then we advise you to visit it. This city is not very big, but full of interesting places, which makes it great for a weekend trip. Here you can find both historical and architectural monuments and modern entertainment.
1. The most popular place in Vinnytsia is perhaps the fountain located near the Roshen factory. This is one of the largest fountains in Ukraine and Europe. It is also the only light and music fountain in the world that uses water directly from the river, unlike others that use purified water. During the day, you can enjoy the beauty of fountain; and in the evening, you can watch a colorful laser show on the water to the music of famous performers. It is impossible to describe all the wonder of the fountain – you need to see it with your own eyes.
2. Hitler’s well-known “Werwolf” headquarters is an underground complex that was destroyed during the war. It is believed that a huge amount of ammunition is still left in the blocked tunnels, and by the explosion of it everything around can fly into the air. But on the surface, there is little reminiscent of the former purpose of this place: now the territory of the headquarters is a huge beautiful park, where in some places you can look into the past, having seen a piece of history from the Second World War. The nearby Museum of Military Equipment is also worth a visit. There you can hear stories about Hitler’s plans and the purpose of these tunnels and labyrinths.
The headquarters is located in 8 km north of Vinnytsia, near the village of Stryzhavka. You can get here by public transport, but it is more convenient to do it by your own or a rented car.
Interesting places of Ivano-Frankivsk
3. Museum of M.I. Pyrohov – a famous surgeon, scientist, founder of the Red Cross and military field surgery. All the features of the environment and time in which the scientist worked are preserved here. Monuments of architecture and landscape gardening have been perfectly preserved here:
- the house of Mykola Ivanovych, in which every room is like one of the episodes of his life;
- pharmacy museum, where you can see the reception and operating rooms where the scientist worked;
- church-necropolis – the resting place of the embalmed body of a scientist;
- memorial park planted by Mykola Ivanovych Pyrohov himself.
4. Vinnytsia is a very green city with many parks. The most famous of them is Central Park named after Leontovych (formerly named after Gorky). This is a large territory with its own rich and sometimes tragic history.
Today, the park offers entertainment for all ages. For those who are older, music always plays during the day: many people dance, play chess, share fascinating life stories. For adventure seekers there are great swings and carousels, tennis courts, American football, etc. If you get tired of walking, then there are many benches and places to rest, where you can have a snack while watching what is happening around. In winter, a huge Christmas tree is decorated in the park, various concerts and competitions are held here as well.
Photo by Vargan, license CC BY-SA 4.0
5. You should definitely take a walk along the main street of the city – Soborna Street, which is partially paved with stones. Here you can see the Dominican Cathedral, which pleases with classical pieces played on the organ in September and October. There is also a Museum of local lore and art and a Saviour-Transfiguration Cathedral.
For those who do not like to walk a lot or are tired of driving, there is an opportunity to see the city by taking a ride on a sightseeing tram. By the way, Vinnytsia tram is one of the three operating narrow-gauge trams in Ukraine (track width is 1 meter). Trams use the same tracks only in Lviv and Zhytomyr.
Photo by CC BY-SA 4.0, license
These are only the most popular sights of Vinnytsia. If you want to see all the interesting places of this city, you should come more than one time. Every season this city will find something to please the visitors. Plan exciting trips, and 7Cars will help you with it. Happy travel!