Car rental in Germany
Modern and ancient, hospitable and sharp, bright and ordinary, but always breathtakingly beautiful country – it’s Germany. From year to year, it attracts millions of tourists who are happy to visit a highly developed European country with incredibly rich architecture and magnificent nature. Many great people lived here and made a huge contribution to German culture.
So how can an ordinary traveller see the maximum of German beauty and visit as many sights as possible? A rented car will help! It is the best way to travel: fast, comfortable, independent and affordable. Let’s find out how to rent a car in Germany! 7Cars will tell you all the details and give you some good advice.
Rent cars in Germany easily and cheaply
We recommend ordering cars in Germany from our partners – Rentalcars company. Click on the button below to go to the booking form.
How to book a car for travel in Germany
On our website, you will find a booking form from Rentalcars. Please fill it out with all the necessary information: city, place of issue, rental period, etc. After that, you will find yourself on a page with many offers from the biggest brands of the car rental industry. Here you will definitely find a vehicle that will suit you in every way, whether it is an SUV, a limousine or a sports car.
Before renting a car, read this advice from 7Cars on how to book transport abroad:
- to rent a good car at a good price, book a car online in advance. Also note that when you make a reservation through our website, you pay for your order in UAH without having to overpay for the conversion;
- the longer the rental period is, the less expensive it will be. For example, renting for 7 days may cost the same as for 6 days;
- take a closer look at the ‘Rental conditions’ paragraph to find out all the requirements and restrictions as well as the amount of the deposit (franchise).
What are the requirements for renting a car in Germany?
- Age. Each rental company has its own age requirements for the driver. Most often, you can rent a car from 21 or 25 years of age. Sometimes it is possible to do it even at 18, but the rental company may charge an additional fee of 10 to 20 euros per day for this service, and an increased deposit may be blocked on your credit card. When you book a car online, these nuances can be found in the ‘Rental Conditions’ section.
- Driving experience. For compact cars and economy class car rental, your experience must be at least 1 year, and for medium-sized and higher class cars – from 3 years.
- Driver’s licence. It is better to have an international driving licence. A national licence may also be suitable if the basic information is duplicated in Latin letters.
You will also need the following documents to get a rental car:
- a voucher for paying for your reservation;
- a credit card with the name of the main driver to block the deposit.
What do you need to know to drive a car in Germany?
Travelling abroad by car, be sure to do everything according to traffic regulations. It is worth getting to know all the features of traffic regulations in Germany in advance.
- Do not try to save money on parking. It is better to leave your car in the paid car park, if you do not want to pay fines.
- Follow the speed limit: for city it is 50 km/h, outside the city – 100 km/h; you can drive on the motorway without any restrictions, but you should know that the minimum speed is 60 km/h and the recommended speed is 130 km/h. The amount of the speed fine is directly proportional to the excess level. By the way, fines of up to 150 euros can be paid directly on the spot, so don’t shout out about corruption if a policeman asks for money.
- Do not talk on the phone while driving. This is considered a strict violation throughout Europe.
- If you plan to cross the German border, be sure to warn your rental company. There are sometimes fees for this, the amount of which depends on the length of the rental, but the prices are small anyway.
How to rent a car without a franchise in Germany
If you are not satisfied with the amount of the deposit, order the Full Protection package from Rentalcars: it includes rent without deposit. The rent will become more expensive, but in case of an accident the company will pay the franchise instead of you.
If you want to rent a car locally, it is worth remembering that most rental companies in Germany do not practice renting without deposit. It is possible to find such a service from local car rental companies, but be prepared to get a poor quality car. We recommend you not to spend precious leisure time on such searches. It is better to choose a car in advance and book it online with a reliable company.
Where you can get a car
When booking a vehicle, you will need to specify where you will pick it up. Tourists often choose an airport because it is the most convenient option: you arrive at the car rental counter, arrange a car and immediately leave for an adventure in your own transport. Also, depending on the city, you may be offered to pick up a car at other locations (e.g. railway or bus station).
Where to go by a rented car in Germany
We recommend you to start your journey from the beautiful capital Berlin. There are a lot of planes flying in this direction (both low-cost and business class), and the distance from Ukraine is very short, so this option of starting a holiday will be very comfortable.
Berlin will put you into an incredible atmosphere of a modern city with a rich history. You should definitely visit the well-known Brandenburg Gate, Museum Island and Reichstag; have a coffee at Alexander Platz, take a walk in the Charlottenburg Park and sail on the River Spree.
Then on the way to Hamburg you should definitely visit Schwerin, a city with more than 900 years of history, located on 10 lakes. You will enjoy the 19th century castle residence of Duke Friedrich Franz II, the 13th century cathedral and the Castle Park, famous all over Germany.
The same Federal Land is home to the fabulous island of Rügen. Here you will enjoy beautiful views of the Baltic Sea, windsurfing, fishing or sailing along the coastline. Active recreation lovers will be able to go hiking or cycling while admiring the local views.
We also highly recommend exploring the western cities of Dusseldorf, Cologne, Dortmund and Stuttgart.
If you love beer and football, then Dortmund is your must visit city. It is the home of Borussia Club and old breweries.
For those who prefer to admire architecture, we would like to recommend visiting Cologne, Dusseldorf or Aachen with their majestic ancient cathedrals.
To feel the Middle Ages, you have to travel 50 kilometres from Stuttgart and get to Hohenzollern Castle, which is often called the “castle in the clouds”. It rises on top of a mountain, surrounded by mists and low clouds. The castle is considered one of the most beautiful sights in Germany.
Finish your journey in the colourful Munich, where you feel the real spirit of Germany, and then be sure to climb up the Bavarian Alps and see one of the most beautiful places in the world – Neuschwanstein Castle. It has a backdrop of alpine slopes, which are buried in the green forests. The castle was commissioned to build by King Ludwig II of Bavaria, who embodied his fantastic and romantic ideas in the second half of the 19th century.
In short, wherever you go in Germany, you will always find something to look at. This country is like woven from beautiful places, so do not put off your journey for a single minute. Have a wonderful holiday!